The application deadline for the 2022 Mulert Award has been extended. Please apply here by February 28, 2022.
Annual Award Information
Each year, the Association bestows the Mulert Award on one of the applicants who best fulfills the annual criteria. Criteria are based on the motto of the award: mutual understanding. The Call for Applicants is released annually via our member newsletter and is published under news on our website.
Founder of the Fulbright Alumni Association –
The Life of Juergen Mulert
After half a year of planning and preparation, the Association was founded in Frankfurt am Main on January 24, 1986. Countless returnees from prior years were contacted, and Mulert and fiften others were the inaugural members.
There were several reasons for choosing Frankfurt as the Association’s home. It was the geographical center of Germany, many committed Fulbrighters were gathered there, and last but not least, a (Fulbright-) law office there supported the Association in notarial matters. One year later, Juergen moved to Frankfurt to work at the city’s main university.
In addition to those within the Associations he founded, he has held many voluntary positions. He was lay judge at the Administrative Court in Stuttgart from 1975 to 1980, lay judge at the Administrative Court in Weimar from 1997, and in various committees of the Chamber of Commerce. Law, principally the law of the Roman Empire, was his passion. He revered the Humanists and wrote these few lines called the THE DIOGENES DECLARATION: Do it out of general esteem for Mankind.
Talents and Passions
He spoke English and French fluently, revered Jacques Rousseau, Charles Dickens, Maria Callas and the Beatles.
Italy was the country which most attracted him, and he decided to hike from Erfurt to Rome over two weeks every summer. For each successive year, he would continue the hike where he left it the year before.
Latest Updates on the Award
- Apply now for the Mulert Award 2021! - Applications for the Mulert Award 2021 are now open. You can apply online here. Please reach out to us in case of any questions. You can read more about the 2018, 2019, and 2020 Mulert Award laureates on our homepage.
- STEMM-Project from Heidelberg wins Mulert Award 2020 - Germany, the US and many other countries have low rates of women in the senior-most career milestones in science, technology, engineering, mathematics and medicine (STEMM) academia. Underrepresentation is undoubtedly an international issue. Nonetheless, there has been relatively little international conversation on the topic. One Fulbright alumna’s ongoing project tries to fix that. The 2020 Mulert award was …
- LGBTQ* Hockey Club from London wins Mulert Award 2019 - So gay! Who has not heard homophobic remarks used as an insult in sports? Even today, even in Western Europe, many lesbian, gay, bi and trans people have negative experiences in sport—from bullying in school, to coming across anti-LGBTQ* language down the pub, on social media, on or off the pitch. They can feel that …
- LGBTQ Hockey Club from London wins Mulert Award 2019 - So gay! Who has not heard homophobic remarks used as an insult in sports. Even today, even in Western Europe, many lesbian, gay, bi and trans people have negative experiences of sport, – from bullying in school, to coming across anti-LGBT language down the pub, on social media, on or off the pitch. They can …
- Refugee-Project from Berlin wins the 2018 Mulert Award - The German Fulbright Alumni Association is proud to announce that this year’s Jürgen Mulert Award on Mutual Understanding is bestowed to the project “Mit Mach Musik”. Bridget Kinneary, Fulbright alumni from the United States now based in Berlin and music director of the project is presented with the Mulert Award for her courage and vision of supporting …
- Refugee-Project from Berlin wins the 2018 Mulert Award - Refugee-Project from Berlin wins the 2018 Mulert Award www.mit-mach-musik.de
- Mulert Award 2017 - Mulert Award winner Pedro Cerrato For more information on CEMPRENDE, Community of Entrepreneurs, please visit https://www.facebook.com/cemprendehn/
- Mulert Award 2016 Press Release - Global Colleagues attempts to match multidisciplinary poverty scholars in one-to-one partnerships and encourages participants to collaborate, to share reading recommendations and research insights, information on conferences, workshops as well as to offer introductions to research networks where appropriate. Partnerships are established for the duration of one year, renewable for further one-year periods by mutual consent. …
- Mulert Award 2015 - News Platform “Atlantic Review” Receives Mulert Award on Mutual Understanding FRANKFURT AM MAIN, GERMANY, February, 2015 – T Mr. Wolf, a political scientist and former Fulbright Scholar at Johns Hopkins University, explains his volunteer engagement with the necessity of critical, and balanced perspectives on international relations. Since its launch in 2003 the Atlantic Review has …
- Mulert Award 2014 - Fulbright Scholar Oksana Buzhdygan Receives Mulert Award on Mutual Understanding Ecological Education in the Ukraine